Informed Consent for Telehealth Services
Telehealth involves the use of electronic communications to enable healthcare providers at different locations to share individual patient clinical information for the purpose of improving patient care. Telehealth services offered by Joint Academy Physical Therapy, P.A. and its affiliated PCs (“Joint Academy”) may also include chart review, appointment scheduling, health information sharing, and non-clinical services, such as patient education. The information you provide may be used for diagnosis, therapy, follow-up and/or patient education, and may include any combination of the following: (1) health records and test results; (2) images and asynchronous communications; (3) live two-way audio-video; (4) interactive audio with store and forward; and (5) output data from medical devices and sound and video files.
The electronic communication systems we use will incorporate network and software security protocols to protect the confidentiality of patient identification and imaging data and will include measures to safeguard the data and to ensure its integrity against intentional or unintentional corruption.
Our Joint Academy physical therapists and other healthcare professionals (our “providers”) are an addition to, and not a replacement for, your primary care physician. Responsibility for your overall medical care remains with your local primary care doctor, if you have one, and we strongly encourage you to locate one if you do not.
- Improved access to care by enabling you to remain in your home while the Joint Academy provider consults and obtains test results at distant/other sites.
- More efficient care evaluation and management.
- Obtaining expertise of a specialist as appropriate.
- Delays in evaluation and treatment could occur due to deficiencies or failures of the equipment and technologies.
- In rare events, our provider may determine that the transmitted information is of inadequate quality, thus necessitating a rescheduled telehealth consult or a meeting with your local physical therapist.
- In very rare events, security protocols could fail, causing a breach of privacy of personal medical information.
If you need to receive follow-up care, assistance in the event of an adverse reaction to the treatment, or in the event of an inability to communicate as a result of a technological or equipment failure, please contact Joint Academy at [email protected] or (332) 217-1650
By checking the box associated with “Informed Consent”, you acknowledge that you understand and agree with the following:
- I hereby consent to receiving Joint Academy’s services via telehealth technologies. I understand that Joint Academy and its providers offer telehealth-based physical therapy services, but that these services do not replace the relationship between me and my primary care doctor. I also understand it is up to the Joint Academy provider to determine whether or not my specific clinical needs are appropriate for a telehealth encounter.
- I have been given an opportunity to select a provider from Joint Academy prior to the consult, including a review of the provider’s credentials.
- I understand that federal and state law requires health care providers to protect the privacy and the security of health information. I understand that Joint Academy will take steps to make sure that my health information is not seen by anyone who should not see it. I understand that telehealth may involve electronic communication of my personal health information to other health care practitioners who may be located in other areas, including out of state.
- I understand there is a risk of technical failures during the telehealth encounter beyond the control of Joint Academy. I agree to hold harmless Joint Academy for delays in evaluation or for information lost due to such technical failures.
- I understand that I have the right to withhold or withdraw my consent to the use of telehealth in the course of my care at any time, without affecting my right to future care or treatment. I understand that I may suspend or terminate use of the telehealth services at any time for any reason or for no reason. I understand that if I am experiencing a medical emergency, that I will be directed to dial 9-1-1 immediately and that the Joint
Academy providers are not able to connect me directly to any local emergency services.
- I understand that alternatives to telehealth consultation, such as in-person services are available to me, and in choosing to participate in a telehealth consultation, I understand that some parts of the services involving tests may be conducted by individuals at my location, or at a testing facility, at the direction of the Joint Academy provider (e.g. labs or bloodwork).
- I understand that I may expect the anticipated benefits from the use of telehealth in my care, but that no results can be guaranteed or assured.
- I understand that my healthcare information may be shared with other individuals for scheduling and billing purposes. Persons may be present during the consultation other than the Joint Academy provider in order to operate the telehealth technologies. I further understand that I will be informed of their presence in the consultation and thus will have the right to request the following: (1) omit specific details of my medical history/ examination that are personally sensitive to me; (2) ask non-clinical personnel to leave the telehealth examination; and/or (3) terminate the consultation at any time.
- I understand that if I participate in a consultation, that I have the right to request a
copy of my health records which will be provided to me at reasonable cost of preparation, shipping and delivery.
- I acknowledge that I may be liable for applicable copayment amounts for this treatment as determined by my health insurance.
- I will not audio or video record the telehealth consultation, although I may take still photographs to document clinical pathology.
I have read this document carefully, and understand the risks and benefits of the telehealth consultation and have had my questions regarding the procedure explained and I hereby give my informed consent to participate in a telehealth consultation under the terms described herein.